Someplace that isn't my Own

Friday, January 9, 2009

Nineteen

My nineteenth birthday went down in not exactly the same fashion that I was used to. For example, my eighteenth birthday I spent the day pretending to be sick because I had absolutely no reason to be at school that day. It was a Tuesday, I only know that because this year it fell on a Wednesday.

The only thing I remember about my eighteenth birthday was that I took a shower and while I was washing away thoughts that had been weighing too heavily on my mind, I heard the door open. Mom was somewhere, at the office working on taxes if I remember right, so I knew it wasn't her. Normal people would freak. I didn't. Probably because I had heard the voice that had called into the seemingly empty house.

It had been Kat. She had come to my house. I had no idea what for because at the time she and I were having problems. (Thanks to the lies of an idiotic trouble starting teenage girl) When I got out of the shower I found the envolope she had left for me. A birthday present of sorts.

She had wrote me a nostalgic letter about days past and given me little gifts, wishing me the best on my birthday. I cried. I think I called her to thank her, if I remember right. Her voice was dead when she answered the phone and I knew that, presents aside, things were still the same. I promptly returned to moping.

My family, unhelpfully, threw a small party. I don't remember much of that either, I tend to block out painful memories.

That's besides the point. I spent all year with the idea in my head that I would just let my nineteenth birthday slip by unnoticed. Of course, things never seem to work out in quite the way I plan them. Instead, people I hadn't talked to in decades and those who have only known me for months ended up wishing me a happy birthday.

All thanks to a certain someone. Krista.

I have to admit, note grudgingly so, that it was sweet of her. She even made me a cake with all the things she knows that I like. I'm not entirely sure as to why she felt the need to make such a fuss over it, other than the fact that I was dreading it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home